Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The rights to assembly in Democratic Kampuchea compare to the rights to assembly in the State of Cambodia

Abstract

Rights to assembly is the rights that individual would be able to form in group to create party, organization, or association in religion, business or politics for their sakes. These rights most likely practiced in democratic system to form pluralism and multi-party system. However, in Cambodia during the Democratic Kampuchea I found nothing relates to the rights to assembly to participate in these areas. Anyway, after the defeat of Khmer Rough in 1979, the constitution was changed to serve the new political era, the State of Cambodia. So, I choose this topic, “The rights to assembly in Democratic Kampuchea compare to the rights to assembly in the State of Cambodia”, as my study because it leads me to have better understanding about the rights of people in religion, business and politics in that period and guide me to learn more about politics in the State of Cambodia. And I want to know that what are similarities and differences of rights to assembly between the two regimes. Furthermore, I would like to understand more about human rights which exists in book that compiled by Professor Stan and what we have discussed in class. These reasons force and direct me to do research on this topic because it is very significant to my study in this term, Human Rights and World Politics.

2 comments:

John Se said...

Hi Savoeun,

As far as I can tell there were no right to assembly at all during the Democratic Kampuchea. They have seperated familied to live in different places. For instance, my dad worked at near Tonle Sap and my mum at the jungle. Whereas the right to assembly in State of Cambodia, we have seen totally difference. You can find a lot of right to assembly in SOC but not in DK. It is much good topic to write and I do hope you will do more good on this topic.

Stan Starygin said...

Hi Savoeun,

First off, the regime which had replaced Democratic Kampuchea in 1979 was called People's Republic of Kampuchea (PRK). State of Cambodia (SOC) was not created until after the Vietnamese withdrawal in 1989 and CPP's announcement of deviation from Marxism-Leninism.

Second, the abstract will doubtless benefit from downsizing and precision of phrasing (use short sentences that are clear, concise and to the point).

Third, I would recommend that you phrase the research question more pointedly, i.e. tell the reader exactly and narrowly what question (s) your research is trying to answer.

Fourth, I would replace the phrase "rights that exist in the book" with something more academic and descriptive of the rights I had talked about in class in technical terms.

Other than these, the topic seems promising and surely interesting.

Stan